Built in 1905 as the National Cash Register Company’s exhibit hall for Portland’s Lewis and Clark Exposition, this spectacular building was barged down the Willamette River after the expo to its current location, where subsequent incarnations included a Lutheran church, an American Legion post, a bingo parlor and a home for Gypsy wakes. The ever-evolving domed structure was later reinvented as Duffy’s Irish Pub and finally, St. Johns Theater & Pub. Faithfully continuing in its role as neighborhood pub and gathering spot, the theater (with its excellent acoustics) shows second-run film releases for a reasonable $3 admission price. Of course, there are plenty of McMenamins handcrafted ales, wines and spirits and food to enjoy during the movie.
8203 N. Ivanhoe St, Portland, OR 97203
Telephone: (503) 283-8520